Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University
Department of Economics
2322 Business Education Complex, Nicholson
Office phone: 225-578-3803
Mid-West Macroeconomic Meetings, Spring 2017 to be held
at LSU from May 17-19.
Please contact Areendam Chanda or me if you need more details.
Macroeconomics, Public Economics, Wealth Inequality, Saving and Housing, Education
2006 Ph.D. (Economics), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
2004 M.A. (Economics), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
1999 M.A. (Economics), Peking University, China
1996 B.A. (Economics), Peking University, China
1. Consumption Over the Life Cycle: How Different is Housing? Review of Economic Dynamics 12(3): 423-443, 2009.
2. American Dream or American Obsession? The Economic Benefits and Costs of Homeownership, with Wenli Li, Business Review, Q3, 20-30, 2010
4. Social Security Reform with Impure Intergenerational Altruism, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 37 (2013), pp. 52-67.
8. Skill-Biased Technical Change and the Cost of Higher Education, with John B. Jones, The Journal of Labor Economics, 2016, vol. 34, no. 3, 621-662. Slides
9. Wealth Inequality, Family Background, and Estate Taxation, with Mariacristina De Nardi, NBER WP #21047, Journal of Monetary Economics, 77 (2016), 130-145. Online Appendix, Slides
10. Is Relative Risk Aversion Time-varying? Evidence from Households' Portfolio Choice Data, with Xuan Liu and Zongwu Cai, accepted by Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 69(2016), 229–248
11. Housing Over Time and Over the Life Cycle: A Structural Estimation, with Wenli Li, Haiyong Liu, and Rui Yao, International Economic Review, 57 (4), 2016, 1237–1260. Online Appendix. Slides
12. “Piketty’s Book and Macro Models of Wealth Inequality,” with Mariacristina De Nardi and Giulio Fella. Accepted at “The Global Ramifications of Thomas Piketty’s Capital in the 21st Century,” Heather Boushey, Bradford DeLong, and Marshall Steinbaum, Editors. NBER WP #21730. (A short version is published in Chicago Fed Letter, 352, 2016, and in Vox).
Work in Progress
5. “Risks and Insurance over the Life Cycle for Singles and Couples”, with Margherita Borella and Mariacristina De Nardi
6. “Social Insurance and Risks and Insurance over the Life Cycle for Singles and Couples”, with Margherita Borella and Mariacristina De Nardi
7.The Consequences of An Aging Chinese Miracle, with Michael Dotsey and Wenli Li
8. Financial Reform and Housing Prices, with Betty C. Daniel
9. Labor Supply of Married Household: a Gender Specific Analysis, with Suqin Ge
10. Limited Enforcement, Private Information, and Risk Sharing, with Hengjie Ai
Teaching (at LSU)
Macroeconomics II (1st year PhD Core Course)
Graduate Advanced Topics in Macroeconomics (2nd year PhD course)